bathroom before and after.jpg

before & after: master bathroom reveal

A few months ago we started a renovation on our master bathroom, the last big renovation that we plan to do ourselves. And just last week we put the finishing touches on the bathroom meaning that we are DONE! But of course when you own a home, you are never really done. And when you like to DIY like we do, I am sure we will be up to our knees in something by the end of the summer!

So here is our big reveal- a before and all the after details of our bathroom! Unfortunately the photos did not turn out as great as I had hoped (bathrooms have really odd angles and minimal lighting ugh), but we are hoping to get the whole house in order for a photo shoot here by the end of the month!

bathroom sink.jpg

An old cast iron sink that we picked up off Craigslist. We wanted to try to keep the style of the bathroom original to the home's time period (1918) so we went with an antique looking fixture that Kiel's company designed.

For the sink base we used reclaimed barnwood from Matrka Deconstruction (the Plain City barn from last fall). We also used tongue and grove (painted white) for the entire wall behind the sink.

We went with a floating sink with exposed piping beneath to keep the bathroom open (the space is only 5x8ft total!).

bathroom renovation.jpg

For the lighting above the sink, we used a green vintage porcelain light shade paired with a fixture sprayed black from Lowe's. For the mirror we spray painted an old frame and had a mirror cut to size.

We created the custom shelving for above our toilet with more repurposed wood from a deconstruction in Upper Arlington which also provided the crown molding for the entire bathroom.

The shelf above the toilet we created with black painted brackets that were used for a shelf in the dining room original to the home. A repurposed log planter holds tissues on the toilet's tank.

bathroom details.jpg

We used white subway tile with dark grout (from Lowe's) for the shower that we laid and cut ourselves. I had to admit that I was a bit inexperienced with tiling prior to this project, but I can now say that I know how to run a tile saw all on my own (so who cares that the tiles may have come out crooked, I actually helped with this one)!

For the ceiling we went with bead board (a theme throughout the house) and vintage style lighting. Not pictured here, but we found an awesome 8x8in original vintage vent covering from Columbus Architectural Salvage that we cleaned up, sprayed black, and used as our fan covering on the ceiling. No more plastic (it's all in the details)!

shower details.jpg

Our favorite part of this renovation- this vintage shower head that we purchased for $20 over a year before we started demolition and remodeling. Kiel spotted it at the Scott Show and it was hiding away in our garage, begging for us to start this project.

I am still amazed that we managed to gut this bathroom down to the stud, rebuild walls, build a shower, cabinetry, a vanity and sink area, tile the shower and the bathroom floor, redo the electric throughout, plumb, and decorate all within 2 months. Whew, I need a nap now just thinking about it!