Wow, another summer holiday weekend has snuck up on us already! Time sure flies when you have a kid (and 2 jobs and a house and ....). One of our big goals this year is to get the outside of our home looking just as spiffy as the inside. We have put a lot of time and effort into our interior home projects and sort of neglected outside areas (sorry neighbors!). So this year in the spirit of hosting more, relaxing more, and beautiful exteriors, we are FINALLY putting our time and effort into our backyard space (and hopefully the front porch too this season if the painters ever get here!).
So here is what is inspiring us for our (almost done) backyard makeover. And follow along on Instagram for sneak peaks. Hoping to show you the full reveal later this month!
1. A great exterior color scheme- Currently our home is a lovely shade of beige with faded purple milk chocolate trim. Yuck! We decided on a pallet similar to this (gray and off white) with a warmer hue to go with our brown shingle roof. We have a rich oak front door which will go nicely with the colors and picked a fun greenish pear color for accents on our pergola outback. We plan to use teal, mint, white, and a few pops of corals (with pillows, etc) to accessorize the rest of the yard.
2. Built in storage- Under our pergola and along side are garage are perfect slim places to put in some simple built in storage to hold logs for bonfires and plastic plates and glasses for impromptu gatherings!
3. Southwestern inspired pot- A southwestern inspired pot with bright yellow, orange, or red flowers will add color and pattern to the eclecticness (is that even a word?!) to the backyard patio.
4. Navy patio rug- A dark bold patterned rug will bring together a nice little dining area or seating area in the back with a cozy feel. Since we are getting almost past the season, I have been spotting some great deals at stores. Hoping to pick one up soon if I can convince Kiel that I can keep it clean...
5. Modern wood table with hairpin legs- Kiel plans to make us dining table with hairpin legs and a slatted cedar top. A sleek and modern piece that will fit six and will be nicely sized for under out existing pergola.
6. Mint chairs- I love these minty greenish blue chairs so much. A set of 4 is perfect for an intimate backyard table or can be mismatched with a set of chairs at the heads of the table.
7. Colorful accents on neutral lounge furniture- We plan to spray all of our hodge podge chairs (a few wire homecrest chairs and a few vintage patio chairs) one single hue and add pops of pattern and color with handmade pillows.
Stay tuned for a reveal of the backyard in a few weeks once everything is cleaned, painted, and styled up all pretty!